Happy Winter! Personally, I’m not much of a fan of winter. My kids on the other hand, have so much fun outside when it snows. We’ve had a mild winter here in Chicago so far, but over the Christmas break we got a few inches. Time to break out the snow pants, sleds and play! And when you’re finished playing outside, freezing cold and wet – there is nothing better to come in to than a hot mug of cocoa! Well, unless of course you have fructose malabsorption 🙁 TQ already has so many restrictions that it’s sad to see the disappointment in his face when the neighborhood is over and breaking out the mugs. So, I came up with this on the fly, and it worked. TQ was a happy guy and felt “normal” for day.
Hot cocoa necessities
The ingredients are pictured here on the left. Super easy! Feel free to exchange the milk out to whatever you drink – soy, almond coconut. Heat 1 cup in a small saucepan over low heat. Alternatively, you can heat the milk in the microwave for about 1 minute.
I used a dark chocolate bar with 88% cocoa. I know there is some debate whether dark chocolate is low FODMAP. TQ can tolerate dark chocolate in moderation.Grate 2 tablespoons of chocolate using a fine grater, or microplane. The result was almost powdered.
Add the chocolate to the milk and stir to melt. It took a bit of stirring, and there were still a few specks that didn’t melt but that didn’t matter.
Add 2 tablespoons of powdered dextrose and stir.
Taste to adjust sweetness.
Transfer to a mug. To put it over the top, serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream and a gluten free cookie (sold on my Etsy site with low sugar) Enjoy!
- 2 Tablespoons powdered dextrose
- 2 Tablespoons finely grated unsweetened dark chocolate bar
- 1 cup skim milk (lactose free, soy, almond ect)
- dollop of unsweetened coconut whipped cream - optional
- Grate 2 tablespoons of chocolate using a fine grater, or microplane.
- Heat 1 cup of milk of your choice over low flame in a saucepan. This can also be heated in the microwave using a microwave safe cup.
- Add chocolate and stir to melt.
- Add dextrose and stir.
- Taste to adjust sweetness.
- Serve with a dollop of coconut whipped cream if desired.