Hi everyone! I just made these fluffy gluten free, lactose free biscuits to go along with our favorite chicken noodle soup (I’ll post that soon). These biscuits are a snap to make! They are light and tender with a slightly crispy edge. Additionally, the next morning they can be made into fabulous protein packed breakfast sandwiches.
Gluten free foods can be void of nutrition and fiber for sure. I’m always aware of that, and try to boost nutrition where I can for my kids. TQ’s diet is very limited so it’s important for him to eat nutrient dense foods (heck, it’s important for all of us!) But, sometimes you just want a biscuit with your soup that doesn’t taste like a hockey puck! My little solution included the addition of some ground flax seed to this recipe – without altering the texture and taste too much. (I will experiment with adding a touch more and keep you updated)
Ground flax seed is a nutrition powerhouse! It’s loaded with vitamins, minerals and omega 3’s, a heart healthy fat. It also offers a healthy dose of fiber. As an added bonus, it is low in fructose and safe for FODMAP diet (although each individual varies). Make sure you buy ground flax or flax meal, apparently we can’t digest the whole seed.
4 Tb Earth Balance Vegan Sticks
2 Tb Ground flax seeds (Can be eliminated if intolerant)
1 1/3 cups Cornstarch
2 t Granulated sugar
1 1/4 t Xanthan gum
1/2 t Baking soda
1 Tb Baking powder
1/2 t Pink Himalayan salt
3/4 cup Lactose free milk (I used Lactaid)
1 t White vinegar
To begin: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Add teaspoon of vinegar to milk and let sit, this creates a faux buttermilk.
In a large mixing bowl stir together flax seed, gf flour, xanthan, baking powder and soda, and salt.
Break apart the Earth Balance into mixing bowl. Use hands (or pastry cutter) to break the large butter pieces into tiny pieces resembling cornmeal. I used my hands to rub the dry together with dry ingredients.
Finally, drop large rounded spoonful to baking pan lined with parchment.
Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are slightly golden
Enjoy with a bowl of soup or stew! Happy baking!
- 4 Tb Earth Balance Vegan Sticks
- 2 Tb Ground flax seeds
- 1 1/3 cups Gluten free flour mix
- 2 t Granulated sugar
- 1 1/4 t Xanthan gum (if not contained in gf flour mix)
- 1/2 t Baking soda
- 1 Tb Baking powder
- 1/2 t Pink Himalayan salt
- 3/4 cup Lactose free milk
- 1 t White vinegar
- Preheat oven 350 degrees
- Add teaspoon of vinegar to milk and let sit, this creates a faux buttermilk.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together flax seed, gf flour, xanthan, baking powder and soda, and salt.
- Break apart the Earth Balance into mixing bowl. Use hands (or pastry cutter) to break the large butter pieces into tiny pieces resembling cornmeal.
- Add milk/vinegar mixture to bowl and stir. It will be wet and sticky. (If too dry, a splash of milk might be needed)
- Drop large rounded spoonful to baking pan lined with parchment.
- Bake for 20 minutes or until biscuits are slightly golden